Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dreams & Fate


When I was seven, my dad had to fill in my report card and listed my top 3 ambitions as;

1) Policewoman
2) Army
3) Stewardess

If you know me, I bet you will be laughing your hind off by now. But if you don't, let me put simply that I; have never, ever imagined myself doing any of the job above, ever!

I am not the disciplined & fit type and neither am I a law-abiding citizen much. And I am certain that I would not look appealing at all dressed in a uniform.

I do like guns and shooting them but I am not that very, very patriotic that I would want put my life on front row for the sake of my country. Don't get me wrong, I do love Malaysia and I will defend my country anytime but only if I was their last resort.

I love flying and travelling but to service and entertain customers at 35,000 feet in a barely breatheable outfit is really not my ideal job. Me as the customer onboard, anytime. Me serving people onboard, never.

What I dream of becoming was somewhere along the line of journalism, writing and the wonderful world of books. When I was in primary school, I wanted to become a journalist, thanks to Lois Lane. Then as I grew into my teenage years, I wish to become a documentary writer specifically to write about animals.

So it was only natural for me to take up mass-communication when I entered college. But NO, fate intervened and my Dad insisted that I not waste my 'brains' on courses that can be easily taken up by any bimbos. I can still recall why he thought I should not take up Mass-Comm, because apparently after graduating they will not hire me. Why? Because companies will hire ex-stewardess who has longer legs, great looks instead of me.

In the end, after my SPM I finally settled for Degree in Accounting since it is a professional course that will never go wrong, it will only take me 3 years to graduate and because all companies will need an accountant hence an increase in job opportunity for me.

Also, because my Dad was paying for my tuition fees so he has a say in how I should charter my life.

Off I went at the age of 18 pursuing my tertiary education in Australia. Yes, I was excited for the opportunity to study abroad and eventually I buried my dream of ever becoming a writer deep inside me.

However, fate is a funny thing.
Throughout my years of studying, I noticed how most of the electives I selected were written base; i.e. marketing communication, marketing research, economics etc. Subconsciously, my desire to write was still burning, although slowly but surely.

After graduation, I did 'pay my dues' and worked at a prestigious accounting firm for less than a year before announcing to my parents that it was not working out for me. Accountancy was never my passion. I had to do it for my Dad, so I did it. My true passion still harbours around becoming a writer.

So I started applying for jobs as communication executive, marketing executive, PR assistant and any related career path that will eventually allowed me to write and talk. It was not easy since my background was totally 1800 different from the requirements listed in the jobs I have applied for. Thankfully, God was merciful and one day I received a call telling how I was accepted. But the CEO insisted that I go through a series of courses to provide my much needed basic in the area.

I am ever grateful for the breakthrough that I got back in 2008. But this also further strengthens the fact that if you are passionate enough and if you want something so badly that you will do anything to get it, in the end....you will get it.

The key here is passion. How much you are willing to work hard for it. True grit.

Why am I telling you this?
Because one day, one fine day, I will realise my dream and become a WRITER, in sha Allah.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment